We understand that often, this may be the first time that your child has spent time away from you in such a social environment. All children and families deal with these situations differently. As a result of this, we plan this on an individual basis. However, we do invite you to stay for the first 1 hour settling in session at the beginning of the Autumn term. We then aim to working towards future sessions where you would drop them off. We would work with all families individually and staff would be more than happy to work out a plan that works for you and your child. We recognise some children may need more time than others to settle in and it is a process that can require some time and commitment from all involved. It is helpful if you can encourage your child to become independent and organise themselves on arrival to sessions and we will support you in doing so too.
Each child will have a class teacher and several practitioners that they will get to know very well throughout their year in Caterpillars. The team will help your child to become settled, happy and safe. They are responsible for your child’s care, development and learning, and will take a careful note of your child’s progress, sharing this with you and giving ideas in order to support this learning at home. When your child starts with us, we may ask some question that help us build up a better understanding of your child’s interests and fascinations.
When your child starts Caterpillars (Nursery) they will need:
• Spare change of clothes (labelled) A full set please- including pants and socks.
• A packed lunch (if staying for a whole day and not wanting a cooked meal)
• Suitable clothing for current weather conditions ie sun hat/ winter coat/ hat/ gloves etc
***Please note- we do go out in ALL weather conditions!!!
If your child is not completely potty trained, you will need to provide the following in addition:
• A sufficient number of pull-ups for the session and named wipes (in their own bag).
• If they are learning- make sure you send a sufficient number of spare trousers, pants and socks too!
• Please see Toileting & Care Policy
Caterpillars (Nursery) will provide:
• A fruit snack & milk/ water and a cooked lunch (if staying for full day sessions only).
We encourage our children to become as independent as possible. Children feel great satisfaction when they can begin to do things for themselves. Even if this means very basic skills such as putting their own coats or shoes on or helping themselves to a drink! We are always encouraging children to access their learning environment through play and this experience is the very first introduction to education and supporting them in becoming excited to learn and ready for school.